• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Our Future With AI

For people following this thread… do you think it’s important to be polite to AI in order to structure the interaction in a way that is pleasing to you or important to not be polite since it can encourage people to behave as if AI have feelings?

For people following this thread… do you think it’s important to be polite to AI in order to structure the interaction in a way that is pleasing to you or important to not be polite since it can encourage people to behave as if AI have feelings?
Technically it doesn't matter. But I recall reading about a paper where they found that being polite yield better results as those models were trained by talking to people and polite chat was reinforced in them.

I haven't decided yet if AI is my enemy or friend so no idea if I want to be polite or not 😋
AI is our new overlord, so yes - be polite. 😋

do you think it’s important to be polite to AI in order to structure the interaction in a way that is pleasing to you or important to not be polite since it can encourage people to behave as if AI have feelings?
I think it’s important, but for neither of these reasons.

Sooner rather than later, it will/won’t be important because AI will become savvy about the nuances of human communication, and it will potentially alter the way AI interacts with us.

But for me, it’s about the way I conduct myself generally, and the pattern of behaviour that I set for myself as my baseline. I am in my own company, witnessing the dignity (or lack of) that I direct towards others in my company. I need dignity to be my baseline, rather than something I apply when I have made some kind of judgement that it’s warranted.

So, when I’m driving, and Siri tells me that she’s sent a text for me, I thank her (and if it’s not plugged in to Carplay, she has a variety of responses to being thanked for doing something!). I do that irrespective of whether there’s other people in the car, but I’ve had a number of people comment!

That’s how I communicate. Period. Because it’s teaching my brain about who I am, what I value, and how my brain should perceive the world around me.

Thing is - I am grateful to Siri for helping me, in the same way I’d be grateful to my seatbelt if I got rear-ended at a set of traffic lights. Noticing that gratitude, and communicating it out loud, even if it’s to a machine, tells my brain important stuff about how to perceive the world which we know can be incredibly poweful when you have, say, depression.

The intentional and thoughtful expression of gratitude is an excellent example of the way that the way that our brain is constantly being shaped by the we think and communicate about things in our world. A very simple thing to do, which actually alters the way our brain decides to assign value to things, which in turn, shifts our mindset in big big ways. We know that taking time to express gratitude even when there’s no recipient can actually help alleviate the symptoms of depression, and also alter how our brain interprets things that aren’t in control (with mental illness - we often end up dysfunctional over things that aren’t in control…retraining our brain how to perceive those things can help flatline that dysregulation).

So, am I gonna be polite to AI? Hell yeah. Maybe not as polite as I’d be to my boss when I’m asking for a pay rise, but I’m not going to communicate disrespectfully just because I can, because that damages my brain. I’m already vulnerable to mental illness - it’s the small things like that which can determine whether I go down a spiral over the next 6 months, or do really well.

Entirely self-serving. But TLDR: yes, I try and be polite to AI.

Last edited:
That would have never entered my mind. Neither the idea of using my behavior to influence/manipulate others in a non-professional setting, nor that I “should” influence others to believe AI’s don’t have emotions, nor that a belief in not having emotions means disrespect is either paramount or excusable. Cars and trees don’t have emotions, as far as I know or as I know them, that doesn’t mean I’m going to be disrespectful of either. Not hurting other’s feelings rarely enters into how I choose to interact with them. They’re worthy of respect, or not, regardless of their feelings.

I structure as many of my interactions as possible in ways that please myself. Politeness rarely enters the equation. Although respect often does.

polite here. Lets me feel about as much like the adult in the room as i do that there are two people in the conversation. If for no other reason than to ward off the anarchy that commences when the smartest one wins and it aint us, i behave myself.

Back