• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What Drugs Are You Taking For Depression ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take effexor, rexulti, gabapentin ( gaba is for PTSD and bad neck). At night lorazepam, cyclobenzaprine, and trazadone.

I have PTSD and bipolar disorder. And since 2011, I have only been on one prescription medication. It's a drug called Clozaril (Clozapine).

That’s a different one. Mainly used for schizophrenia. Hopefully it works for you.

I’m on Effexor, mirtazipine, buspar, and prozosin

I use Cymbalta for MDD, Gabapentin anxiety/anger, MMJ for anxiety, temazepam, and prazosin for night terrors and sleep.

But this is only my current schedule. It has over two decades changed many times. I will say that this is the first time my meds have been managed by a psychiatrist (pdod). I feel the Cymbala and gabapentin have been really good for me, most effective combo I've been on. I think the important thing is to fully accept whatever depression med they prescribe for you. Take it and dominate any temporary annoyances until your body/mind gets used to the change. Then evaluate its usefulness.

Last edited:
Currently, for MDD:
Wellbutrin and Venlafaxine (shoutout to @flowerapple, same combo)

Currently, for sleep issues related to PTSD:
Low-dose Neurontin (Gabapentin) - as needed

Previously, for MDD:
Duloxetine (Cymbalta), Abilify (aripiprazole), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Celexa (Citalopram), Topomax (topimirate), Latuda (lurasidone).

For anxiety related to PTSD:
Klonopin (clonazepam), Ativan (lorazepam)

For sleep issues related to MDD:
Restoril (temazepam)

For sleep issues related to PTSD:
Minipress (prazosin), low-dose Seroquel (Quetiapine), low-dose trazodone

I need your doctor!

I need your doctor!

That’s not hard to do just have to be blunt and to the point with the PDoc. If it works keep taking it, if not speak up about it. No point taking something that’s not working properly. You have to find what works best for you. The only way to do that is tell the doctor if it’s working or not. What works for me may not work for you. Until you find the right combo it is a shot in the dark. Most people have to go through several before finding the right one.

Even down to the time of day to take them. Everyone is different. Effexor alone for me does very little if taken at night. However I can do the mirtazipine at night and Effexor in the morning and it works great.

If it works keep taking it, if not speak up about it. No point taking something that’s not working properly. You have to find what works best for you. The only way to do that is tell the doctor if it’s working or not.
Couldn't agree more.

Also: it's very helpful if you can log your reactions to a med, so when you talk to the Doc you've got something of a record to refer to. The more they can trust that you're giving it a shot and paying attention to what it's doing, the more likely they are to really collaborate with you.

(The decent ones, anyway)

I don't take anything. I have tried all but the most recent, newer ones and none worked. I was also on Gabapentin, but not for depression/anxiety, for nerve pain and seizures. Side effects were too bad for me to continue taking that.

My body can't seem to tolerate antidepressants so I am taking Lamictal ER which is technically a mood stabilizer but it does seem to help my depression somewhat.

I don't take anything. I have tried all but the most recent, newer ones and none worked. I was also on Gabapentin, but not for depression/anxiety, for nerve pain and seizures. Side effects were too bad for me to continue taking that.

You tried Breivact for seizures? It is a cousin to Keppra......but Keppra gave me horrible rage and long term Depakote deadened my senses (smell, vision, taste, etc)...and gave me a whole host of side effects over time. I'm clear headed on Briviact, have no behavioral issues caused by the meds anyway , and it is has only been on the market for like around 5 yrs. I went from 25 yrs Depakote, to Keppra (a wild crazy ride) to Breviact-which seems to have a calming effect. The research at the time showed 92% of patients who came off Keppra with behavioral issues, and were put on Breviact (molecularly similar for the seizure control but without causing behavioral issues, displayed no behavioral issues on the Breviact (only 12% did)....Was a lonely, long med change, but I came out the other side!
I take no psych meds regularly, and only hydroxizine or Lorazapam (maybe a couple a month) for anxiety or sleep.

Gabapentin.......caused me lots of behavioral issues if taken with anything, as did with many of the other drugs I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back