• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone else feel guilty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasel

Sponsor
Even for stuff you haven't done?

So if you are left alone in your T's office for a moment you will feel uncomfortable that they will think you have stolen something, even though you haven't nor ever would.

Going through passport control you will look guilty even though you are doing nothing wrong.

If someone tells you someone did something wrong you feel guilty even though you haven't done anything.

Etc

Anyone else?

Always!
If I get stopped at immigration,I immediately think it's because I've done something to warrant it, even though I haven't.
And totally the same: if something has gone wrong, I think it's me.

Is it a trauma response? Used to taking responsibility for other people inflicting stuff? "It's my fault they behaved like that" thinking taken to other situations?.

So if you are left alone in your T's office for a moment you will feel uncomfortable that they will think you have stolen something, even though you haven't nor ever would.

I do this sort of thing all the time. I used to think it was because I had a nasty little shoplifting habit when I was 12 but maybe not??? I mean, I never would steal from anyone as an adult and I have not but I retain a certain level of guilt/paranoia that someone will think that I have. But it is not just stealing. I don't think I have ever cheated on a school assignment but I used to think I was going to be accused of plagiarizing all the time when I was in college.

I do this sort of thing all the time. I used to think it was because I had a nasty little shoplifting habit when I was 12 but maybe not??? I mean, I never would steal from anyone as an adult and I have not but I retain a certain level of guilt/paranoia that someone will think that I have. But it is not just stealing. I don't think I have ever cheated on a school assignment but I used to think I was going to be accused of plagiarizing all the time when I was in college.
Yeah, I think that trauma victims can sometimes feel paranoid about things because of stress and hyper-vigilance. It comes with the territory.

I feel guilty for surviving, that feeling has stuck with me and no amount of counseling has improved it.
That really sucks. Like you haven't been through enough. I am sorry. I know that doesn't help but it just feels absurd that you would have survivor's guilt. I am not blaming it on you, of course. It just really baffles me what our brains do in these sorts of situations.

That really sucks. Like you haven't been through enough. I am sorry. I know that doesn't help but it just feels absurd that you would have survivor's guilt. I am not blaming it on you, of course. It just really baffles me what our brains do in these sorts of situations.
I know I survived for a reason, I believed that reason was to raise my son and care for my mom in her later years. I suppose now my reason is to care for my cats. There must be more to it than that.

Minds/brains are complex, especially with emotions added in. Why I wasn't one of the 112 who lost their lives, I'll never make sense of. Life is random. I hoped I would find peace or understanding someday, instead, I gave myself tons of stress and confusion. I've spent half a lifetime trying to "get myself together". I won't give up because the answer is somewhere, I just need to find it.

It sounds odd, but I get joy if I can help someone else, yet I'm not very good at helping myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back