• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone here who suspects a genetic aspect to their anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an opinion, and it's getting off topic. Let's stay on point!

You are right, I agree that I used hyperbole to express an opinion. The point is that America abnormally prescribes medication compared to what is normal for the rest of the world. On the topic of anxiety and medication, that is highly relevant to American people who are suffering from anxiety and have been prescribed medication. Thinking outside one's immediate environment, also known as getting some perspective, often helps.

Mod Note:

On the topic of anxiety and medication, that is highly relevant to American people who are suffering from anxiety and have been prescribed medication.

This is not highly relevant to the topic the OP is addressing. If the topic you are discussing interests you enough to further comment on it, please make a separate thread to discuss the issues pertaining to the ethics of prescribing medication.

Any questions or concerns please address them here.

Back to the thread...

i go back and forth on whether it is nature, nurture or a combination of the two, but i have nary a doubt there is a strong family connection.

This is where I stand, um wobble. I couldn't tell you if I would have anxiety or not if my environment was ideal, I still have the predisposed risk factors. I also don't know if my relatives have anxiety, I just assume.

genetic aspect anxiety? yes.
My father called me a belly-acher, accused me of seeking sympathy, told me to "be a man" when I was literally sick to my stomache and other forms of ill all during grade school. I liked school, excelled in fact. looking back it was social anxiety, probably from being criticized so heavily by one of the 3 other people in my home, then going to a situation where there were hundreds of strangers, 33.3 % of whom were probably secretly criticizing me all of the time.
later in life, i found out that he had missed most of his early school mondays out sick, and then in high school he was elected senior class president but missed a lot of friday and friday night activities.
Genetics? maybe. Made me tougher? that would be nurture and I don't give him credit for that, escaping his home at 14 was a cure for any weaknesses. I think he had the same dispensation to anxiety and his father definitely pushed it to an unbearable level, as did mine. I let my son be a kid and he is a great dad. Enough.

I think most people have some amount of depression, anxiety, etc (esp in this time we are living as you said)...but I think some people are just better at hiding/dealing with it. A family I know lost a member to suicide, 2 close family members both have pancreatic cancer now, they have their own health problems, but they keep on trudging on and enjoying life. I asked the man once how he deals with everything and his answer was "God".

I believe so. I have/had an extremely rare disorder (RAD) that not a lot of research has been done on in the progression to adulthood. While this has an environmental cause (extreme infant neglect) most babies don't develop RAD even when in extreme environments. My family has a huge history of mental and physical health problems, autism, ADHD, schizophrenia, BPD, NPD and also there are genetic anomalies due to incest. I definitely suspect if this wasn't the case I would not have RAD and the likelihood of other mh and substance abuse disorders would be lowered.

Not genetic but more likely learned..... All those examples, all those people, you learn from them all when you are young. You learn how you should be. When all those people help add to your anxiety and show it as an example, why should you be different.......

The study of epigenetics shows that trauma effects can be passed down through 6 generations. This was a study in rats. Science is saying that there is coding in our genes (or rather “above” our genes) that passes it down through generations. It’s not just about learned behavior.

The study of epigenetics shows that trauma effects can be passed down through 6 generations. This was a study in rats. Science is saying that there is coding in our genes (or rather “above” our genes) that passes it down through generations. It’s not just about learned behavior.

What proportion of the population do we suppose would be at the end of hereditary chain that hasn't had experiences of trauma throughout six generations? Six generations being usually well over 100 years of life experiences.

I definately believe its got a genetic component to it. My dad was neurotic.But he was a war vet. suffered PTSD. .. I see my son has inherited my dads neurosis and alcoholism. But Yes Its certainly part of the enviornment also. It's the certain kid that is sensitive enough to pick up stress in the home: conflict that isn't resolved in a healthy way; People just raise their voices and things get tense more louder voices This happens again and again over time.That certain child if predisposed: is going to get stressed.And also learn to get stressed. Unless its comforted by its mother: Made to feel safe: More likely everyone is into their own: "I want it my selffish way": So the child's needs get forgotten about. etc etc
I just think if I was protected from violence as a child; I mean that sounds nutz right out of the chute: But bear with me. If it wasn't a frequent occurance and say: my mom was really tuned into my needs say instead of my dads neurotic needs:and my needs were met consistantly.
Perhaps I wouldn't of ended up with anxiety.
panic attacks, depression, suicidal ideation cPTSD. etc etc etc
Its a lot of what if If Only it was this or that
🥸😭

So I have had anxiety in some way or form ever since I was a kid . I just figured that out. From hair eating to OCD thoughts. It didn’t get bad until after my dad died and then after my first job I had real panic attacks.

My grandpa is a neurotic person. My mom turned into a neurotic person after my dad died. My grandpa needed Valium at some point. My cousin had bad anxiety. He’s managed to not need meds (yet)

Mental health is bad on my dads side. My dads aunt is anxiety ridden too.

I can be very neurotic . I’m on lexapro but i still find myself behaving neurotic sometimes. I can def get depressed and angry about anything.

Anyone else think it can be genetic?

I worked at a doctors office and I noticed a good number of people were on anxiety meds.

I’m just confused as to how in this day and age a lot of people aren’t. Lol. I mean it sucks the world sucks to live in at this point it’s literally burning all around us and idk how people aren’t on some type of meds
Have you read “The Body Keeps the Score” ? Might be a good read. Best to you on your journey.💕

I feel like much of this is learned as well through family systems. If my parent is anxious then they are going to infect me with their behaviours imo. 'Don't get dirty!' 'Wash your hands!' 'OMG the GERMS!' all come to mind. I think a person in a chilled out family doesn't necessarily learn anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back