And noooooow I want hoecakes >.< Dagnabit!!Yes they are. Here flapjacks and pancakes are pretty much the same, its just the name.
Even though crepes -with lemon & sugar- are my faaaaaave
& Buttermilk pancakes wrapped around breakfast sausage link, or chicken and apple sausage link, run a close second!
It’s less that hoecakes are third, so much as they suit a different kind of perfect happiness.
Friday’s Menu (IE ain’t nationwide by a long shot )
- Crepes = Crepes.
- Pancake = wheat flour, cooked w/butter or veg oil, served with maple syrup or jam. Sweet & fluffy!
- Flapjacks = pancake of any flour, often mixed flours, cooked in bacon grease, over a wood fire. Sweet & savory & smokey.
- Hoecakes = coarse cornmeal/polenta flour, cooked in bacon grease
- Johnnycakes = in between the two above/below, over a wood fire.
- Cornmeal pancakes = fine cornmeal and wheat flour, cooked in butter or veg oil
- Fried Mush = Steal cut oatmeal left to solid up overnight in a round pan or a whole bunch of tea cup saucers, fried in butter the next morning
- All things not-crepes are better with an egg on top!
How bout all y’all? What’s your fave?