• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

What stopped you from exercising and how do you overcome it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the days when you win do you have these difficult feelings still? Or any troubles with the exercise triggering reactions or anything like that? Or is it all a problem of getting yourself to do it then you're fine once you start?

Not wanting to feel the body makes sense for trauma. I know I don't like to be seen, particularly when dancing - can't say as I do much other exercise though apart from walking and that feels a very normal activity, not putting myself on show at all.
Once you start enjoying yourself, and feeling good after having exercised, or getting compliments from others, you stop giving a f*ck *as much as you used to* about other people watching.

I think I get this fear of: being looked at, feeling my body, or I don't know what.
Something inside prevents me.

Done it again today.
Made the decision not to exercise. Again.

I have this internal battle in my head and the 'no' wins.

Do you have something similar?
And how do you overcome it?
I do. I’ve been wanting to, for health and mindfulness but my motivation isn’t there but I’m working on it😊 it will come.

Interestingly this was something I brought up with T initially as something I currently find very difficult that I'd like to change.
I think some of you have hit the nail on the head.....feeling exhausted, oit of breath, stressed is really difficult for me these days. I think I now strugle to cope when feeling uncomfortable? I don't think I'd really realised that til I read your post and replies, so thank you for that.

I used to go to the gym for at least 4-5hrs per week, plus have a very active job. Even when I changed careers, I was still active and working out regularly every week. But good old trauma and depression hit me (which for me leads to emotional eating/unhealthy habits), and I piled on an extreme amount of weight meaning I lacked the energy and self worth I once had. I kicked my own butt, lost all the weight and got healthy. Then bam, life kicked me in the face with the biggest trauma to date, and then later some more for good measure. So what did I do? Return to the old habits of emotional eating and unhealthy habits. I'm now almost back at the very beginning weight wise, and have zero confidence in exercising (doesn't help I also broke my leg/ankle a few yrs after the trauma which still causes issues). T has suggested that therapy can help me with the emotional eating, self confidence etc so is confident I'll naturally find losing weight that much easier as we go on. Here's hoping eh!

I hate to "exercise," but I do like to take leisurely walks. I used to walk to very fast, upbeat music, and I loved it, but I have too much pain to do that now. These days, I only get out occasionally to walk and take photos. I'm thinking of rejoining the gym, so I have a reason to go and at least use the treadmill.

Last time I joined, I went 3x a week and loved walking and using the bike. But...I developed SEVERE bilateral sciatica and had to quit.

I don't care how people see me in terms of when I walk--but I used to. After I quit my job in 2020, I just didn't care at all what I wore or what people thought. That might be an age thing, but I don't know.

I DO care about my hair (which has been falling out for a long time) and I care that I'm overweight. But walking doesn't bother me at all for some reason. Maybe because I combine it with photography.

PTSD stopped me from being able to exercise. Things like yoga, wall-sits, stretches, that all turned my brain into fuzz. Contorting my body and twisting it and holding it. I couldn't. I've found it easier to just walk, martial arts, swim, scoot. I'm physically disabled so within the realm of my disability you know. It doesn't feel like exercise but it is activity and that's good for you. Rock climbing, ice skating, skateboarding, rollerblading. Things that require skill and talent and competition and focus and that helps because I focus on that and not on my body.

PTSD stopped me from being able to exercise. Things like yoga, wall-sits, stretches, that all turned my brain into fuzz. Contorting my body and twisting it and holding it. I couldn't. I've found it easier to just walk, martial arts, swim, scoot. I'm physically disabled so within the realm of my disability you know. It doesn't feel like exercise but it is activity and that's good for you. Rock climbing, ice skating, skateboarding, rollerblading. Things that require skill and talent and competition and focus and that helps because I focus on that and not on my body.
I think those things sound like a LOT of exercise! Good for you!

Pain. Burning of my lungs, throbbing of my muscles and this is during. After the utter exhaustion keeps me from trying. I’m living in the celebrating/not berating myself for only making a 10 minute walk with the pups happen. The real answer is Fibromyalgia. But the answer since I’ve been old enough is not wanting to be anywhere near the fit or desired category because I’d rather skip the attention and the possibility of more abuse. Sad but true I’ve lost a fair amount of weight more than once and always gained it and a little back as my new shape shows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back