• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fears about Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMW83

Learning
Hey all,

I’m guessing I am not alone in this and others are feeling the same, but I am really struggling with the current Coronavirus pandemic.

I am not really concerned about the virus myself but the whole uncertainty of it is causing me tremendous anxiety. Not knowing if I will be able to source food or medication, concerns at the possibility of lawlessness if we go into lockdown and having to protect myself and my home, having to consider losing my home and income amongst many other concerns.

I also have grave concerns at the possibility of losing my family to the virus. My grandmother died around 18 months ago which left me considering suicide for several months. When she died I found myself kind of shutting down, struggling to conduct my daily life, not involving myself in social situations, staying in one room for days at a time, not eating or sleeping, etc. Over the last week or so I have found myself falling into this routine again and whilst I’m not actively considering suicide, I am struggling to see a future especially considering all the uncertainty and do not feel I would survive if another family member was to die from this virus.

I am not entirely sure why I’m posting this, perhaps hoping for advice or to hear I am not alone in feeling like this.

Well, you're definitely not alone. I can't shake the feeling that I or maybe my whole family is going to die. Or if not that, then society will be entirely destroyed.

Probably irrational thoughts, but possibly not. I don't know. Irrational or not, those thoughts are really bothering me right now.

I don’t think you’re being irrational especially with how poorly our governments are reacting to the outbreak. It doesn’t instill much confidence.

I suspect there are a LOT of people that share your worries/concerns.

I'm not worried much about the virus; that's probably due mostly to not caring about dying. I do, though, worry and get very anxious about the possibility of not having a job. I am unemployed right now and the job I had lined up has been delayed and may not occur at all.

So much going on, so many uncertainties, I don't think it's irrational or odd at all to be worried.

Try taking each day one step at a time. See what you need in the next hour, in the next day. Make plans based around that. Short term goals.

It is extremely normal to be worried about this situation. Yes, the world has been through things like this before. But, that doesn't mean we can't be worried about how we're going to handle this situation.

I've found that taking breaks from the stress is helping. It's the long-term stress that seems to be affecting everyone most. There is hope, by the way -- even economists are hopeful about a few things. There's still cool news going around, things about newly discovered bird species, volunteers helping the elderly, etc.

I have been playing with boxes of fidget toys, playing word puzzles, watching silly movies and shows. Just breaks. I've banned reading news from my bedroom so that I still have a little happy place for the next while. I got a coloring book off Amazon and that's helping. I'm taking a MasterClass by Chef Gordon Ramsey and that's pretty fun. I don't have all the ingredients but I still feel cool.

Right now, you're okay.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Right now, the what-ifs aren't going to help. Not unless you can find some control SOMEWHERE.

Hang in there <3

Ditto Lil OC on finding activities and happy places that center you, or if none really happy, those slightly easier and more soothing in the day.

The small is sooo much.

And @whiteraven, not sure if it would help, but maybe look at a wiide variety of jobs - not the one uncertain - but all you could do and would want to, or want to do and cannot yet and what prerequisites you have & which you need and where to get them...

Don't look at what is crashing.
Look at the fact you're still standing and trying to do better.

Which both is sooo much.
Not a failure.

Have you ever heard the old quote " a rising tide floats all boats"? that one will come later.
Right now, stuck at home and unable to do much to affect the future, i am remembering that "when the tide goes out you can see all the rocks" or something like that.
I can think of some rocks that are getting exposed right now- it's a good thing for those of us that aren't rocks.
I can remember low tides, followed by high tides, many cycles over a lifetime, it happens, like yin and yang, like weekends and workweeks, sun up and sundown.
Small goals, small wins, is definitely a good thing as was stated above @Ronin
sometimes, when you can't see a future, I suggest looking at the low tides you have survived and the high tides that followed. remember the cycles.
We can do this, you can do this, just think about that magic moment when the boat starts to float again and you get a chance to steer it where you want to go, with a renewed knowledge of where those damned rocks are. It's going to happen, don't doubt it, get ready for it.

Hey all,

I’m guessing I am not alone in this and others are feeling the same, but I am really struggling with the current Coronavirus pandemic.

I am not really concerned about the virus myself but the whole uncertainty of it is causing me tremendous anxiety. Not knowing if I will be able to source food or medication, concerns at the possibility of lawlessness if we go into lockdown and having to protect myself and my home, having to consider losing my home and income amongst many other concerns.

I also have grave concerns at the possibility of losing my family to the virus. My grandmother died around 18 months ago which left me considering suicide for several months. When she died I found myself kind of shutting down, struggling to conduct my daily life, not involving myself in social situations, staying in one room for days at a time, not eating or sleeping, etc. Over the last week or so I have found myself falling into this routine again and whilst I’m not actively considering suicide, I am struggling to see a future especially considering all the uncertainty and do not feel I would survive if another family member was to die from this virus.

I am not entirely sure why I’m posting this, perhaps hoping for advice or to hear I am not alone in feeling like this.

Yes, I can see why you would feel fearful. This is a very different time which is challenging everyone to have faith and hope, but also lean on our dear ones for love and support. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. What did you do to help you with your suicidal thoughts before? Who are you talking to about your feelings? Call this number 1-800-273-8255 to talk about your fears and emotions. Things will continue to change but there are plenty of people out hear that love you and would love for you to stick around, after all this craziness. Also, one of the great things is that there are a lot of great resources for people who need help. keep talking and staying informed, but also pray and have faith everything will work out.

@sponge42, the person you were responding to said they weren't actively suicidal, so in my opinion it's a little disrespectful to post that as your response.

I’d have to strongly disagree. It’s real life support, for someone who is struggling with passive ideation / not seeing a future, and who has spent significant time suicidal in the past. Having someone on the other end of the line who is trained in de-escalating the odd combo of panic&depression numb&overwhelmed that often presents with all kinds of suicidal ideation? Who can help back the anxiety down whilst providing clear direction and real life support? And who has probably had extra training with pandemic fears/helplessness, and guiding people through those? Sounds like a spot on recommendation to me.

Last edited:
What helps me is being proactive. I have purchased enough food for the next month+ (to be honest, I have had a stash of food due to stores in my area going out of business in the past year and stocking up on my allergen free food during the clearances). I have purchased household necessities that I’ll need such as soap, detergent, etc. I have looked up DIY recipes so that I can make the things I cannot buy. I am sticking to social distancing recommendations so that there is less likelihood of catching it. All of these things won’t keep me 100% safe, but doing them gives me a sense of power. I remind myself that this is only temporary. I remind myself that I can get through this. I am also reaching out to family members more often, especially my elderly aunts who live alone. Keeping busy and helping others when I can has helped to calm my fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back