• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Fears about Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for your responses.

As I’ve said, I’m not concerned at the virus per se, I’ve been at peace with my own mortality for a long time now. However my
Mother falls into the at risk category, with her suffering autoimmune diseases so if she was to catch the virus, it is highly likely she will die from it. In an eventuality that she does, I know I know I won’t want to live.

Presently my main concern is the future. I reside in the UK and our government’s seeming inaction is putting more and more in danger, with a large swathe of the public disregarding medical and government advice and conducting their lives as if there is not a global pandemic occurring. This is making any eventuality in the future, bleak and precarious. The UK has been in austerity for the last ten or so years which has resulted in economic uncertainty, tremendous employment losses with many left homeless and destitute. This pandemic ultimately means many more decades of this with all other eventualities including loss, devastation and hardship for the many.

As I’ve said, I’m not concerned at the virus per se
That is exactly how I am. I am reasonably concerned about it. I am more concerned about a. the amount of disregulation this causes in my mental health(already feeling myself getting back to daily anxiety and it's just 2 weeks of the whole state of emergency) and b.the economy crash that will follow if this state of emergency continues for many weeks. Way too many people here and in other countries work paycheck to paycheck or without a contract(so no benefits even if goverment arranges something). Way too many people can't manage without a paycheck for a month, or 2 weeks, or even a week and this situation of things closing down will just end up badly with reprecussions no matter what the virus causes. So I am having hard time with my anxiety too. Daily. Trying to get better with it.

I'm starting to feel the anxiety too. I need to go to the store, but I don't want to leave the property. It's cold and rainy, so my back hurts more than usual, so I can't do much yard work or gardening which helps my anxiety. I'm lucky in that I'm on SSDI, and have a guaranteed income. Not much, but enough.

I'm starting to feel the anxiety too. I need to go to the store, but I don't want to leave the property. It's cold and rainy, so my back hurts more than usual, so I can't do much yard work or gardening which helps my anxiety. I'm lucky in that I'm on SSDI, and have a guaranteed income. Not much, but enough.
I totally get that. My back is hurting again too, but it's nothing that can be deemed urgent enough that I can have anyone look at it, so... yeah, not cool. I'm good for work too, for now at least, and while I am good I can also work on possibly side income so that if it changes I am ready. But no matter what if many people lose their jobs and businesses shut down that will hugely affect daily life. Even if I am lucky enough not to be from those people. So the economic uncertainty scares me. Still, trying to take it day by day and hope for the best outcome possible, cause, what else can you do?

@SeekingAfrica " Still, trying to take it day by day and hope for the best outcome possible, cause, what else can you do?"

egg freakin zachary. I feel like it is time to unleash some super power practical merry prankster level jokes on my wife. I wonder how she will feel about a bouillon cube in her showerhead tomorrow morning or maybe inverting her screen on her PC? I hid her spatulas for two days and replaced them with staplers because she thought I stole her stapler (I did). I found neatly folded dirty socks in my drawer this morning and an orange and nothing else where the remote lives. More awaits me I am sure.
Goddam, aint love grand?
No jokes that involve fear or loss kids. enough of that already. We need light hearted old fashioned harmless ways to really light up someones slow burn.

Cause, what else can you do?

Last edited:
You are definitely not alone. I have emetophobia and so this whole thing is making me extremely anxious and panicky. It doesn’t help that my job at a fast food place is considered essential when we are barely having anyone go through the drive thru. Yes I am glad I am working but today I was sent home early because I was afraid to do anything. I just feel so hopeless and am worried my family is going to get it and I just can’t handle that right now. I’m just so over this whole thing and I was starting to feel kind of grounded and them this happens.

@enough

That whole post was just perfect. Thanks, man.

And rewards system for pranks, too. I mean when on 'Someone stole your toys? Who, me? :angelic: Prove it!' that totally calls for a loving reward after.

And all that feel good, the world can be burning but our corner of it be safer than ever, shit, quite vital.

I am not in good health, I have heart and lung issues, as well as diabetes and high blood pressure etc. and as a result I am at high risk of complications if I were to catch the virus. There is also the fact that there are healthy people who are younger than me that are dying from coronavirus. That freaks me out a bit because I want to live.

From what I understand and if I am not mistaken, the cause of death is often complications such as acute respiratory failure, ...(one cannot get enough air in their lungs to sustain life) and due to health care restrictions patients often die alone. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. So, yeah, I am very much afraid!!!

However, I try hard to focus on the things that I can control such as health precautions/guidelines, ..social distancing etc. and other forms of self-care such as meditation, mindfulness, and cognitive reframing etc.

I lost my mother and sister, (2017 and 2018 respectively), and I understand that it is not easy to go on living when someone we so totally love has passed on. My mother would say to me, "Son, you can't stop living just because I die." and that attitude helped me to pull through the dark times. I know she would want me to 'keep on keeping on' as would my sister because they loved me as well.

I have used counseling therapy as a healing tool and I would recommend that you talk to someone, (perhaps a professional), who you can use as a sounding board for your thoughts and feelings...as well as continuing to post here on the forum. I hope your anxiety lessens and that you continue to reach out for help and assistance. Sorry if this is not helpful for you, but good for you for reaching out....I think a lot of good suggestions have been made by others before me and I wish you the best.

I was starting to feel kind of grounded and them this happens.

Yeah, that was bull poopy. None of us deserve this but I learned that life keeps throwing stuff at you just when you feel better. I now have a bunch of tools to deal with this so I'm not doing too badly, but my mean neighbors talk about me on their porch loud enough for me to hear? I'm toast.

Speaking of grounded, I just dug up 4, 5 gallon buckets of soil from my backyard and put it in raised beds in the front. It was soaking wet and heavy. Not counting the 6 pound chicken riding on the bucket eating worms. I made two trips, weeded and called it good. I'm too tired after all the morning chores, getting up at 3:30am, and doing extras to worry about much.

Hey all,

I’m guessing I am not alone in this and others are feeling the same, but I am really struggling with the current Coronavirus pandemic.

I am not really concerned about the virus myself but the whole uncertainty of it is causing me tremendous anxiety. Not knowing if I will be able to source food or medication, concerns at the possibility of lawlessness if we go into lockdown and having to protect myself and my home, having to consider losing my home and income amongst many other concerns.

I also have grave concerns at the possibility of losing my family to the virus. My grandmother died around 18 months ago which left me considering suicide for several months. When she died I found myself kind of shutting down, struggling to conduct my daily life, not involving myself in social situations, staying in one room for days at a time, not eating or sleeping, etc. Over the last week or so I have found myself falling into this routine again and whilst I’m not actively considering suicide, I am struggling to see a future especially considering all the uncertainty and do not feel I would survive if another family member was to die from this virus.

I am not entirely sure why I’m posting this, perhaps hoping for advice or to hear I am not alone in feeling like this.

I don't have advice but you are not alone. In fact I just now joined this forum as I was searching to connect with others that are struggling. My PTSD stems from , among other things, having lived on the streets. My fears of financial collapse leading to possible homelessness is wearing on me even though I think we are in a better position to weather the storm than a lot of people. I also have nightmares of violence erupting over the social-economic impacts of this virus on our country that is already so divided...I worry about this when I am awake but I feel like I am the only one who seems to see the danger. On the other hand I am not sure if my anxieties are rational or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back