• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How do you manage helplessness and hopelessness of complex trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you able to rest for a little while? When I get that way I try to have even a short nap - emotional tiredness is still tiredness and being kind to the part of you that's feeling it can help you come back more quickly.
I am struggling with this again, but I am doing much better.

Do you know what's triggered the fawn/freeze response?
Being seen, wondering if I am doing the right thing. Not being sure of where I am.

I hear you - I get that still sometimes, less than I used to but I can still be really hit if I don't look after myself when I feel overly visible. Part of my job involves training groups of people do the "being seen" thing can be hard going.
I am only working one on one, but I am still scared. I want to make it to the next level. The thing is that I am doing some good work, despite the feelings.

What has worked for me is firstly recognising that being seen is a trigger and then being very reassuring to that part of me (sometimes literally reassuring myself like I would a small child - it'll be ok, I know it's scary but you're really good at this, just a while longer, type messages). I'll also have a treat planned for after the "visible" thing, a nice coffee, cake, good book, movie whatever feels like a treat or feels nurturing.
I did a bit of happy eating on Thursday. I didn't know how to manage the happiness - the feeling good.

I know it's horrible but the freeze/fawn thing is just trying to keep you safe, so you need to be kind to yourself and reassure yourself that you are in fact safe. Try not to fight it, cos in my experience that makes it last longer and feel harder.
Yeah that is for sure. I forget it sometimes.

The hopelessness and the helplessness is a real challenge to deal with. I have to get more on top of it. Write a list and then just do each and every thing on the list.

I am really pushing out of this one. It is a total slough for me to do. I keep doing it. I fall over. I keep doing it. I make a few steps, then slip back. Then I push out of it a bit more. Choosing to be here, and not dissociated. Choosing to learn new skills to push myself. I took on a role that totally scared the crap out of me yesterday, fronted up, did it, and did pretty well from all accounts.

Doing a little bit, doing a little bit more, doing a little bit this way, doing a little that way, doing a little more, falling over, feeling it is all too much, doing a little bit more, doing a bit more, shaving a bit more, being a bit more here, Self Compassion Break, Self Compassion Break, Self Compassion Break, doing a little bit more, whinging a little bit more, complaining, moaning, making a decision not be be helpless, making decisions, making small decisions, thinking things through rationally, making more small decisions, doing stuff, doing exercise, going through with things, learning to trust yourself just a tiny little bit, doing more, making more decisions, doing stuff, doing more stuff.

Taking action.
Making decisions.
Speaking up.
Looking to solve problems.
Solving problems.
Taking more action.

I have kept trying to do things. I just keep at it all! Helplessness and hopelessness is a tricky one to deal with. I still am stuck in it, but more able to move through it then I used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back