• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General PTSD and fear of coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
Hi,
just wanted to know if any of you/your loved ones is afraid of the new corona virus? My guy started to be worried about it circa ten days ago and talked me into doing some research now I am starting to be increasingly worried too while my Vet is getting more and more stressed.
We always had some FFP3 masks and disinfectives (because we are preppers) but ordered some more now - just before it was sold out everywhere. The fact that it is sold out everywhere now adds to his stress (and to mine).
We heard that the US closed their borders. Our borders are still open and so far not much bad has happened. We have 12 infected people but in stable condition.
We are not wearing masks now. People would laugh at us, but my vet feels very uneasy having to go to work were some of his coworkers just returned from their Chinese New Years Holiday.

Honestly I am not sure if there is REALLY a reason to worry or if he just infected me with his worries.

Hi,
just wanted to know if any of you/your loved ones is afraid of the new corona virus? My guy started to be worried about it circa ten days ago and talked me into doing some research now I am starting to be increasingly worried too while my Vet is getting more and more stressed.
We always had some FFP3 masks and disinfectives (because we are preppers) but ordered some more now - just before it was sold out everywhere. The fact that it is sold out everywhere now adds to his stress (and to mine).
We heard that the US closed their borders. Our borders are still open and so far not much bad has happened. We have 12 infected people but in stable condition.
We are not wearing masks now. People would laugh at us, but my vet feels very uneasy having to go to work were some of his coworkers just returned from their Chinese New Years Holiday.

Honestly I am not sure if there is REALLY a reason to worry or if he just infected me with his worries.

No. I have NO fear of the Coronavirus.

@Ronin: Fear is Never being helpful, is it? But it might be justified.
My husband has a long history of being afraid of germs (PTSD related) and typically his fears have not been justified which he knows... sort if at least...
However in this case he is very worried... and he knows a lot about germs and epidemiology. He coped with being afraid of germs by gathering knowledge about them.
so typically he is able to know that a fear is not justified, he may not feel it but he knows this... but in this case he isn’t sure. Talked me into doing my own research because - as he said - he cannot be trusted when it comes to this.
He is very afraid but I do not know if this is the opinion of a man who has gathered profound knowledge on germs and epidemiology or just his ptsd talking here.
He doesn’t act on his fear so far - apart from having a disinfecting and masks in his car (and not using the masks and using the disinfecting only if nobody is looking).

Have to add that he has always been very clean, obsessive about washing his hands right, informed everybody around him about hygiene. So what they suggest over here - he is already doing it for a long time and holds the opinion that it isn’t enough and that scares me.

I think fear itself is alright, nothing wrong with fear... but it shouldn't be paralyzing or controling your lives.

As to the idea of Not Enough... it's enough *for now*. Worry about the worse when you get there, sort of thing. You are having it covered *for now*.

I might be totally wrong on this, but didn’t your husband get really sick at one point or saw people get really sick during his service? If I’m totally off, please disregard.

A lot of people are scared of the virus without PTSD. I’m uneasy, but it’s because of traumatic experience while working abroad with an unholy infectious disease and my own high risk status. It’s a trigger. I’m not a germaphobe generally but I could see that someone who is already one would be spooked even more. There is a lot of public panic, markets dropping significantly due to some of that panic, and that’s not a PTSD thing.

His friend had sepsis. I think that contributed to him being a germaphobe. Typically he realizes that his fears are silly and I realize that it is just his ptsd but this time it is different. However he stopped discussing it with me now while I still realize he is very stressed. I hope it is not as bad as he fears and I am beginning to fear.

Hope we know more about the virus soon.

Is it helpful to point out facts and circle back to it possibly being a trigger for him?

I am getting a bit worried but mainly because I am out of the news and am hearing it talked about everywhere. Heard about people not being let out of a boat on the radio on the way to work.

But, justing using all of the hand sanitizer wipes at work. I guess I can put it as mildly worried.

Hey
How do you think about it now? Me and vet do not discuss this a lot anymore (apart from him telling me not to panic) but I can tell (from his reactions, trembling and needing to puke when he heard about Korea and Italy) that he is very scared. At the same time he pretends that he is not and that he is sure everything is under control.

We have been adding to our prep stash. Currently he is out buying the last things.

I worry for his health. He is constantly telling me not to panic which he typically does when he is panicking.
Plus I am worried myself. What you hear about the virus doesn’t sound good.

I’m still not concerned... we are generally healthy, not immuno-comprised, and do not have respiratory issues. There is no outbreak anywhere near us. From what I’ve read, the vast majority of people (like 80%) who contract the virus have very mild symptoms or no symptoms. We have good healthcare here, except the cost. I’d be more worried about the medical bills than dying if I was exposed to Coronavirus. It’s on my radar, but I’m more worried about picking up the regular flu right now. I’m pretty busy at work and don’t want to get sick ?.

I can relate. My husband suffers from bipolar with psychosis and the new virus has set off his paranoia. He created a computer program to track it and is obsessed and has to update it everyday. For me it’s extremely stressful and difficult to watch him go through this level of fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back