I'm getting another horse. He should be here sometime tomorrow.
This is kind of a weird story. I sold this horse about 10 years ago, not because I wanted to but because I desperately needed the money. I'd gotten him to begin with in kind of a weird way. He was part of a group of 2 year olds I'd started under saddle for a ranch I was working for. Our "fearless leader" always seemed to hate Maynard, for reasons she refused to explain. But he was kind of my buddy from the first we met. At some point that summer, he had a lameness issue. Vet checked him out, said he thought it was a soft tissue deal that would heal with rest. Not a problem Then he colicked and needed surgery. Which he had, and survived just fine. Then Fearless Leader decided to "get rid of him". (Looking back, I'm not sure exactly what she meant to do with him.) I offered her what kill price was at the time. She got a bit huffy and said she'd have to talk to the owner. She did, and HE told her to give him to me. LOL She said, "J says you can have him, but I want him out of the barn RIGHT NOW!" So I went home and got my trailer and took him to his new home.
Ever since I sold him, now and then I do a search on his name. A couple of times I found him, but right after he got sold. A few weeks ago, on a lark, I searched again. And found him. And he was "for sale" but more than anything needed a home. Now, we've had a drought here this year. Hay is really short and quite expensive. I've been looking for a riding horse since I got my hip joint fixed last winter but hadn't found the right horse and was going to wait till spring because I had ENOUGH hay, but not enough for one more critter. But this was Maynard, you know? So I contacted the seller. Long story shorter. He's lame. (Same leg as before actually.) I've seen the x-rays and sent them to a vet who's a big time lameness expert. He says they don't look too bad and he figures whatever the problem is, it's "manageable." Maynard ended up at a camp and he doesn't have the right disposition for that job, even if he's sound. They want him to go to a good home. Once I managed to convince them this would be a good home, and probably his last home, they've decided to give him to me. Just heard from the seller, the hauler is supposed to pick him up this morning. He'll probably be here tomorrow. (Oh, and when I told this story to one of my horse shoeing clients the other day, she piped up that her dad had hay for sale.... Hay problem seems to be solved!)