• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ask a foreigner

I live in Texas USA and almost everyone has air conditioners. I live in Central Texas where it is more dry less humidity and it gets up in the high 90's F to low 100's.

Speaking of air conditioners…It’s been 96-100 here for a few days and yesterday the AC couldn’t keep up and we keep it at 78° F. It wasn’t going below 83…so this morning I went out and looked at the unit.

Holy cow…I don’t know how it was getting any air at all. We have cottonwood trees that send out fluff that covered it along with grass clippings from neighbor’s mowing.

So, I vacuumed it then pressure washed it down with a hose so that should help tremendously! It’s already 81 heading for 94. I’m glad I did it before it got any hotter.

Maintenance isn’t my strong suit….🙄

I live in Texas USA and almost everyone has air conditioners. I live in Central Texas where it is more dry less humidity and it gets up in the high 90's F to low 100's.
I was in Brownwood last week @ladee. Do you consider that Central Texas? I am from West Texas, but anything West of Abilene all the way to El Paso is considered "West", so Brownwood could fall into that category. It was 109° that day, no humidity...felt very West Texas to me 🥵.

Do you know how to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius easily ? (Just an interrogation I'll check the conversion myself.)

I mean since only usa uses Fahrenheit.

We aren't used to it unless specializing studying in Switzerland. I had to convert it few times but even in scientific field it's not important to know convert it without calculator

Most of the places I’ve lived in the US nearly everyone has air conditioning these days… including nearly all businesses & public buildings.

When I was a kid, it was more 50/50. Some regions might have had more, but in Southern California, Louisiana, South Carolina, Virginia? Certain businesses (shopping malls, movie theatres, etc.) had air conditioning, and people headed there en masse when it got hot; but most schools/etc. did not, and only the richest & poorest had air conditioning in their homes (swamp coolers in poor homes, where water damage wasn’t a consideration, & dry/“real” air conditioning is wealthy homes. But most places? Were built to manage the heat (vaulted ceilings, thick walls, wide windows), OR not meant to spend time in / sleeping outside even, in addition to living mostly out of doors. Ditto, local culture meant a lot of getting wet at least a few times a day to cool off. When it’s 95F/35C to 105F/40C out for months at a time? With spikes of up to 125F/50C? Cultures accommodate for water. Even in the Middle East… Abayas are BLISSFUL rather than constricting, IME. As they billow around and create your own private little windstorm blowing on you. Loved that. I was far hotter wearing far fewer clothes.

Where I live now (Pacific Northwest) the temp is 50F/10C nearly year round… so air conditioning is very rare.

Last edited:
Do you know how to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius easily ? (Just an interrogation I'll check the conversion myself.)
I use this formula: (°F − 32) × 5/9 = °C
I don't think there's any other way that's accurate enough as Fahrenheit is an exponential function while Celsius is a linear function.

We aren't used to it unless specializing studying in Switzerland. I had to convert it few times but even in scientific field it's not important to know convert it without calculator
I'm from Sweden so I'm not used to Fahrenheit either but I find it both easier and quicker to ask google 'X fahrenheit to celsius', than using that^ formula.

Back