• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Let's talk about roommates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octocurrency

New Here
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting. I've been in therapy for a few years and have had a lot of success adjusting to various triggers and sources of anxiety. That being said, I still struggle pretty significantly with my living situation.

I've lived with some great people for about a year and a half now. We're always laughing, sharing stories, and generally get along super well. They have their own lives and I have mine, but they've known eachother for a while and spend time at home hanging out and cooking together. Unfortunately, I've never been able to bring myself to join them outside of a handful of situations.

Despite how much we get along, I still panic everytime they come home, like they're going to judge me for little things. I never ask to join when they're watching a movie, even though I know they'd say yes. I have trouble asking to use anything that belongs to them, even if it's something they've told me I could use in the past.

I'm exhausted, frankly. I'm a social person, and hardly deal with social anxiety within my professional and friend circles. But at home it's profound. I just want to live and be comfortable but I just can't seem to find any relaxation around them. I always feel on edge and uncomfortable at home. I'd really like to know if anyone else has had experiences with roommates and working on those relationships?

I was mildly scared of my roommates because I feared they’d find out I’m a freak. Even if I, like you, had only good times with them. At the end I guess they just told themselves that I was a bit discrete and that’s it.

I have had good and bad roommate relationships. The better ones are always when I know the person and they show vulnerability around me. Power struggles in roommate relationships suck so if you feel that you'll be judged all the time, f that! I'm sure there is plenty to judge them on, but it doesn't sound like your doing that... We are all freaks. Really. Some of us have just found a way to fit into mainstream freak world.
My last roommate I could never get comfortable around so I just wore headphones more often. Yes, posably a suggestion that encourages avoidance but what the hell, it helped me relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back