• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Therapy relationship artificial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding ‘professional’ . I agree the relationship is professional. But professional relationships can be ‘real’.

Surrogates are an example of reality I think ( in some countries it’s not legal to be paid to be a surrogate ). I think there are many teachers who care about the group but not the individual- but some who genuinely do care about each child in their class- and while it’s a job there is real emotional connection. ( I wrote to my first teacher a some years ago and she remembered me and who my friends were and details like that) . Impressive.

Nannies/ childminders. I bet they often care very much for the children. Dh is still in touch with at least one of his .

Professional doesn’t have to been not intimate or disingenuous. Paying for the service means to me that implies the safety of professional standards and structure ( for both parties) . It gives T the option to remind me kindly) of something contradictory I said a year ago (and then talk through why all people are contradictory but talk about if I’m changing or if I’m responding) , It creates a power dynamic where I can surrender some autonomy without feeling so vulnerable. It makes the idea of boundaries, expectations and obligations into professional standards. I expect my T to show up, do her job and behave kindly / respectfully/ responsibly/ frankly and communicate well. I expect myself to show up , do my homework, or give it a good try and go back to her with the problems, and communicate well and speak respectfully/ truthfully.

( These are good models with different boundaries for every type of relationship- And if I don’t like the way someone treats me - even if it’s not a professional relationship I can move the boundaries of the relationship to passing wave or not entertaining that cheeky monkey )

So yes- I’d definitely agree my T relationship is professional. And boundaried . ( my T has strict rules about social engagement if we end up at the same function or something) And one sided ( I know some details about her personal life, her dog sometimes comes to t sessions but not things like a partners name or status .

But I don’t think those things make it artificial. I think they confine it to being a therapist and patient relationship rather than a friendship or anything else and that’s healthy and necessary.

Am thinking that the concept of “therapeutic” might be aligned with “artificial?”

I might need to start another thread. What does “therapeutic” mean to you? Is therapeutic necessarily artificial (to a certain degree?). Now I’m having a hard time thinking there is anything *not* artificial in the human realm. Splitting from the concept of real for a moment. 😐

I think this is related:

Today I cried on the phone - I missed you to my T. She thought it was so sweet. And said she was right here now no need to miss her!

Later in convo I asked her if I bother her and she said no. Don't ever think that.

So I figured why would she get in the line of work she is in if I was bothering her. Plus she has told me before (anything she disagrees with)

So I think the artificial comes from the fact that it's thru care . Like a Dr. I love my Drs office and they know that. But end of day. I don't expect to have priority over any other patience.

I don't think artificial is the right word.

Thank you @Defaultxlove. Been thinking about what you said.

I am grateful that you shared your interaction with your T. It gives me perspective to reflect on my own interactions.

I know you shared that your trauma happened as an adult. I’m guessing that you had a good enough childhood without any major traumas.

I am aware that people who experience trauma as adults can still regress to childlike states as part of their healing.

I am intrigued by your interactions. I feel things similar to what you expressed but am hyper-critical of myself so block expression of such feelings. I think it has to do with attachment wounds or something like that.

It’s perfectionism. Black and white thinking. Plus projection. On my part. I know she can’t fill my emotional needs, but she can co-regulate with me. So I can say, “I feel uncomfortable,” and let her sit with me. But to say something about interpersonal dependence or needs is too painful. I see the artificiality too clearly.

This gets back to the transference crap. I don’t understand why I should bleed my heart to her when it’s all fake. I don’t understand how someone can say something like, “I wish you could hold me,” just to hear them say some version of “I can’t,” or way worse cross that boundary.

I don’t understand why a client would say, “I love you. I hope we can be friends,” and stuff like that. Yet I feel it. I was trying to get to that in session last time. I was trying to understand how I might get to the place where I could say it too. Despite the fact that I would be told nope. And she said some people never talk about it and are fine.

Yuck. Such a yucky topic. When I think about me saying stuff like what you said I see a ball of anger rising inside. And then T saying, “Don’t push it. It will happen when it happens.” Which leads to more anger.

*Sigh*

I guess I’m still not ready or something. Bleh. I’m going to stop thinking about it. Feel myself slipping. Not sure what to hold onto but I’ll try. Feeling like I need to vent this anger in my diary but it’s starting to turn over on itself into a big knotted ball. Maybe I can forget about it. Maybe I’ll vent it tomorrow.

Crap it’s big. I will vent in my diary.

I see the artificiality too clearly
I can say that I know what you feel. I'd love to be friends with my T IRL but then she couldn't be my T. I think anyways. I talked to mine first thing. I come from a family 10 kids. I felt my mom didn't love me but the truth was she was busy loving all of us. My step dad was angry sometimes . He was an adopted foster child. I think we all have things we need to heal from, from the past. But I was healed from those things before my trauma which makes a difference I'm sure. I digress. Back to you.
Your relationship with t is real, but maybe not clear to you yet how and settled in your heart yet.
I don’t understand why I should bleed my heart to her when it’s all fake.
Are you afraid she will abandon you?
Crap it’s big.
:( with you OliveJewel.

I'm looking forward to seeing this settled in you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back