• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I'm Going to Stir The Pot - Cultures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy--it's ok, I didn't even mean that as any critique really of what you said, and now that Jim pointed out that Robbie Williams is really big where you guys are, it makes more sense (Thanks Jim). And obviously when one comes to a new place, while they should be able to hang on to their culture etc, they should also adapt to that place...I hope I'm making sense ;P

Evie--it's ok...I'm not doing too well these days either and I should probably stay away from these threads too because they upset me too sometimes (not any of your posts, or Kathy's or Jim's or...I'm rambling but you get the point) I do agree with Kathy htough that debate is generally a good thing and ahallmark of any true democracy :)

Sorry you're not feeling well right now RD... hope I haven't added to that much. And yup I agree with what my aunt (aka Oh Wise Leader lol) says too actually, it is good for democracy and exposure and so on, just I get all worked up in these threads for some reason. I shouldn't be in here right now even, but I wanted to respond to what you wrote. Glad you're still around and I didn't scare you off. :p Take care.

Kathy--it's ok, I didn't even mean that as any critique really of what you said, and now that Jim pointed out that Robbie Williams is really big where you guys are, it makes more sense (Thanks Jim). And obviously when one comes to a new place, while they should be able to hang on to their culture etc, they should also adapt to that place...I hope I'm making sense ;P

No worries reallydown, I understand completely your point of view, and I agree largely. In this particular instance however, the doctor's lack of knowledge really was inexcusable. Perhaps I was guilty of not explaining the situation better. In any event, I am delighted to see you back here commenting and that you were not frightened off as Evie mentioned.

Reallydown, this is the mother in me now and please excuse me if I am being too forward, however - your name. It is most depressing. Have you ever thought of changing it? Perhaps you might feel slightly better if you did? My apologies if I am being too forward but it does bother me slightly. I know if Evie had such a name I would be quite concerned, and the two of you are around the same age I believe. Right-o. That is my motherly lecture for the day. :rolleyes: Take good care.

Okay, so I am in Port Authority bus station in NYC getting ready to head home. I am probably one of the most open minded, less prejudice people you may meet. But....I get on the bus and this man gets on and is sitting opposite us at the window seat. He is obviously of Middle Eastern decent and I found him staring at me wierdly on two occassions, well then I was uneasy. So, I began watching him. I was not thinking he was looking at me in a sexual way, but in a way like I made him uncomfortable. But, in return he made me sooooo uncomfortable. I mean he was well dressed, which is off key on the bus, and his luggage was a large cooler/ice chest that was taped up. It was placed under the bus so it was not searched, they only search carry on's. So, all I kept thinking was he could blow us up. So, I guess I am a bit more prejudice than I had thought, but he unnerved me to the point I was very glad when he transferred buses.

So, I guess I am a bit more prejudice than I had thought

I hate to admit it, but I am too. Totally different example, but when I see people on the street who are dressed shabbily, and especially people of aboriginal origin, I often feel like crossing the street to avoid them. I'm worried they're going to ask me for money or a cigarette. I feel badly for making that assumption but unfortunately I've been accosted for money on more than one occasion, and it has scared me, because often the person is drunk and can be quite aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back